For 2020-21, the usual additional compulsory training requirements set by the JRCPTB have been suspended as it is not easily possible for trainees to undertake attachments at external centres, and some of these services are running below their usual capacity anyway. In the interim, evidence of online learning will be accepted in lieu of these attachments. The London TPDs have suggested the following list of courses that are likely to be appropriate:
Also this BTS course, which is not free and was not on the original list but is also likely to be appopriate:
Although the information below is not currently relevant due to Covid, it is included here for reference:
- Occupational lung disease clinics (see how to arrange)
- Lung Transplantation attachment (see how to arrange)
- Pulmonary hypertension (see how to arrange)
- Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy clinics – evidence of some experience. Arrange locally in appropriate posts.
- Cystic Fibrosis attachment (see how to arrange)
- Smoking cessation clinic experience (an online or BTS course is also beneficial, or formal level 1 training available at The Whittington)
- Pulmonary rehabilitation experience (arrange with your Respiratory Physio or community team (easy at the Whittington and Homerton). Why not give a patient education session and get it signed off as a Teaching Observation?)
- Integrated Respiratory Medicine experience (strict criteria not yet agreed: Dr Bhowmik suggests at least 3 MDTs and a home visit accompanying a specialist nurse with CbD afterwards. Easy to arrange at Whittington and Homerton)
- HIV clinic experience (available at UCLH and Royal Free).
- Respiratory allergy and immunology (available at Homerton).
- Thoracic surgical list (arrange locally through the surgeon at your Lung Cancer MDT)
- Safe sedation course (see courses).