- The next UCLP GIM Training Day will be at Newham General Hospital on Thurs 5th Feb. Topics will include: nutrition; HIV emergencies; valvular heart disease; dementia diagnosis in the acute setting; talking about resuscitation; liver disease in pregnancy; and asthma. You must book a place via EventBrite to attend.
- The London School of Medicine and Medical Specialities 5th Annual School Conference: Life Changing Medicine will be held on Friday 27th February. The day includes a diverse array of speakers and interactive workshops covering a range of topics relevant to clinical practice and the wider roles of medical trainees in the NHS in 2015. You can book your free place until 15th Feb.
- Upcoming Teach-Ins at the Royal College of Physicians include Obstetric Medicine for Physicians on Feb 3rd, and GI bleeding on March 3rd. These are free, and usually include high quality up-to-date speakers and presentations.
- The GMC are holding a conference on 16th March 2015 exploring the theme of creating a culture of openness, safety and compassion.. There is a poster competition for students and trainees with the deadline of 31st January. Register your conference place before they run out.
- Courses on occupational lung disease at the National Heart and Lung Institute including: Occupational Asthma Study Day 21st April; Practical Statistics for Clinical Researchers 23rd June and 30th October; and Occupational Lung Disease Keeping up to date on 22nd September
- A new consultant respiratory post is available at Harefield Hospital. This is a pure respiratory post with no GIM component. They are looking for someone with a specialist interest in lung cancer and pleural disease with interventional bronchoscopy skills. Contact Dr Will Man on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01895828851 if you are potentially interested.
- Fellow in Medical Education, Health Education South London. OOPE working for Dr Andrew Frankel, Postgraduate Medical Dean for Health Education South London (HESL). “You will initiate and lead a range of change management projects relating to medical education with specific emphasis on quality and safety improvement, interprofessional learning and clinical leadership.” Closing date for applications 9th Feb. (NB as with all OOPEs as much notice as possible is required, minimum 6 months, and approval by your TPD).
- Clinical Research Fellow at the Respiratory Biomedical Research Unit (Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals) in the Chronic Respiratory Failure Consortium. The consortium is undertaking research in a number of areas relevant to end-stage lung disease including: the effects of anabolic drugs and the development of appropriate stratification/outcome tools; surgical and non-surgical lung volume reduction in hyperinflated patients with emphysema; non-invasive ventilation as an adjunct to exercise; pulmonary rehabilitation; microRNA’s as regulators of muscle mass in COPD; diaphragm physiology and disease. Deadline 1st Feb.
- MRCP(UK) is seeking to appoint two trainee representatives to the Academic, Quality Management and Research Committee (AQMRC), the Board responsible for overseeing the development and quality of its examinations. Successful applicants will become full members of the committee, and actively participate in their work and projects. They will be expected to promote the viewpoint of trainees in the development of the overall strategy and policy of the MRCP(UK) and Specialty Certificate examinations. More information can be found on the MRCP website. Deadline is Friday 6th March. Contact the policy officer for more information.
- The GIM TPMC needs new trainee reps. If you are interested in influencing GIM decisions by joining the GIM TPMC email Raksana Ramzan by Thursday 12th February.
- The next interdeanery transfer window opens 4pm 30th Jan and closes 4pm Fri 24th Feb, allocating transfers for Aug-Oct 2015. If you are in research and want to officially move your number here (welcome!), or if you want to leave NE Thames (no, don’t go!) then don’t miss your chance.
- The SpR representative on the MRCP SCE board wants your feedback on the SCE. Send your thoughts to: email@example.com. Areas of particular interest (including cost) are listed in the attached document: SCE Exam Feedback questions.
- The BTS STAG has a new Chair, Gareth Jones. They have updated their induction pack which contains some useful information, aimed at new ST3s.