- Welcome to the new ST3s! We look forward to seeing you at the Bronchoscopy Training Day on Wed 23rd November.
- Nearing CCT or know someone who is? See below for a great Consultant job opportunity at Newham.
- If anyone has recently either successfully claimed, or had problems claiming, excess travel or relocation costs please get in touch.
- Thanks to everyone who has sent information on their recent posts. We now only have missing information for Barts, North Middlesex, Broomfield, and the Royal Free ICU job! Since trainees are currently being asked to rank posts for April, it would be great if we could get at least basic information on all posts on the site as soon as possible. If you are a trainee and have recently (ie within the last 2 years) worked at any of these sites please complete the very quick form. If you are a Consultant at these hospitals and want to ensure trainees are aware of the training opportunities, please drop me an email (after looking at the information available on other posts). Many thanks for your help.
Respiratory Training Programme
- We hope to see many if you at the Winter BTS in December.
- Following this, the next training day is Friday January 13th at Barts Hospital, after which there will be drinks at Smiths of Smithfield (which serves 70 Craft beers! Other beverages are available).
GIM Training Programme
- The next monthly acute medicine teaching sessions, run by registrars for registrars at UCLP on Tottenham Court Road is on Renal Medicine 17th November 4.30-6.30pm. Book now on Eventbrite!
- 2017 dates for your diary are: Microbiology for the General Physician 12th January, 4-6pm, Paterson Ross Lecture Theatre, St Bart’s Hospital. After this, recommend your colleagues book in for: Respiratory Medicine for the General Physician 9th February, 4-6pm, John Ellis Lecture Theatre, Royal London Hospital (more details will follow shortly). After these sessions, all monthly teaching will take place on the second Thursday of the month from 4-6pm.
- The next regional GIM teaching day is yet to be announced. In 2017, GIM training days will take place in March, May, July, September and November. Don’t forget that all GIM info is on the UCLP site.
- UCLPartners Education Conference 2016 – Educational Innovation Through Partnership will be on 6th December 2016 at Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Regents Park. A bargainous £25 for trainees! Book via Eventbrite.
- Book now for UCLPs Law and Ethics sessions, delivered by Dr Daniel Sokol. He is a barrister specialising in medical law at 12 King’s Bench Walk Chambers, London, and a leading medical ethicist. He is a columnist for the British Medical Journal (‘Ethics Man’) and the author of 3 books on medical ethics and law. Taking place 2-5pm on 15th December, 17th January, and 23rd January. Book now as these are very likely to fill up fast! And don’t forget to book study leave.
- Why not book onto the UCLP “The Art of Presenting” half-day course on Wednesday 18th January? To book click the link and pay the £32.45 deposit.
- Springboard, the London School of Medicine return to practice event will be on Tuesday 24th January 2017. This is for anyone returning to Med Reg shifts after OOP E, OOPR, OOPC, parental leave or sickness. Sign up online.
- The Essex EBUS and Interventional Bronchoscopy Course will take place at Basildon Hospital on March 16-17th 2017. The programme includes a live case on day 1, and plenty of hands on experience, and costs £400. Get the date in your diary and book your study leave now!. Contact Christine Rafferty for further details and to secure your place.
- The 2017 BTS short course programme has not yet been announced.
- Upcoming Teach-Ins at the Royal College of Physicians include: Hepatology for the general physician, 6th December. The RCP are streaming some events, including Teach-ins, and has an archive so you can catch up with events you missed.
- The next Cambridge Medical Seminars meeting is on Nov 25-26th. Good value GIM, with topics including: porphyrias for the generalist; tropical medicine in the 21st century; emergency management of IBD; oncological emergencies; an ECG quiz; and more! Booking open.
- Sign up to the PLAN (Pan-London Airways Network) newsletter to hear of free educational events open to the Respiratory MDT – regular sessions on leadership, management and integrated care. A great opportunity to learn alongside MDT colleagues and sign-off curriculum competencies. Next meeting 16th November.
- Follow @resptrainees and take a look at the new site for Respiratory trainees on the BTS linked Respiratory Futures website. Get in touch to recommend resources and information, and to get involved as an associate editor (CV points available).
- Need an update on genomics? The Genomics Education Programme is the NHS’s method of ensuring its staff have the knowledge, skills and experience to ensure that the health service remains a world leader in genomic and precision medicine. Find the great, free resources at HEE Genomics Education.
- The Clinical Entrepreneur Training programme has been co-designed by NHS England and HEE to offer opportunities for doctors and the wider health professionals to develop their entrepreneurial aspirations. Recruitment for all doctors opened on 7th November 2016 and will close on 9th December 2016. This intake will have limited places. Interviews will be held in March 2017. The programme will commence in autumn 2017. Apply now!
- A new (4th) Consultant post will be advertised soon at Newham Hospital. The official job advert will be out in the next few weeks. If you, or someone you know, is nearing CCT and is interested in working in East London then don’t wait! The job plan can include an EBUS session if the candidate is interested in this (with training available for those not ready for independant practice). Contact Dr Nivenka Jayakersera for more information and to discuss the likely job plan in more detail. She is happy to be contacted by email, phone, or via switchboard.
- Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, are advertising a Senior Clinical Fellow/OOP in Interventional Pulmonology for an ≥ST5. Start date is negotiable. Contact Dr Rakesh Patel for further information: Tel: 0116 250 2610/258 3798. Email: email@example.com
- Interested in education and training? Dr Patrick Flood-Page (Newport) is looking for trainee volunteers to help update the interview questions for selection into Respiratory medicine. These questions are important, so that we select the right people to join our speciality. Contact Dr Flood-Page directly for more information.
- The BTS highlights a number of funding opportunities relevant to Respiratory trainees on its’ pages.
- Remember that even if specific research jobs are not advertised, Consultants with academic positions are always looking for enthusiastic SpRs to join them. They may have pots of money for projects, or may have ideas that could become an MD/PhD. You’ll never know if you don’t ask. Ask around, and get in touch with anyone on the research pages for more info. Wondering whether you want to pursue a future in academic Respiratory medicine? Why not watch the BTS video featuring Dr John Hurst?
- Please get in touch to raise issues you want us to bring up at the next TPMC. Let us know what concerns you so we can be an effective trainee voice on the committee. Our next meeting will be in the new year.
- Thanks to those trainees who have expressed an interest in joining the committee as trainee reps. We look forward to some new energy and fresh ideas!
- BTS Winter meeting 7-9th December, London
- Annual BTOG Conference 25-27th January 2017, Dublin
- Do you have ideas for future themes we should cover in Respiratory training days? Let us know. The teams organising upcoming days are trying to match up to gaps identified by our ongoing curriculum mapping, but are keen to hear suggestions.
- Please send us info on your current or previous jobs directly by email, or through the anonymous survey. If you are currently out of programme please send information on your most recent, most liked or most hated post!
No comments yet.